Letter of Recommendation Worksheet
Letter of Recommendation, counseling version
College Fair Aids
2016 Seattle Spring College Fair Tips with information, advice, and questions you can ask the representatives.
Weekly Email Download
Fact or Crap Tidbits Dinnertime Quiz Download September 20, 2015
2015 PSAT Information
PSAT Student Guide 2015
NMSQT Student Guide 2015 (National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test)
Write & Ready Summer College Application Essay Workshops
The Write & Ready Flyer has details about our Summer 2015 Workshops for Rising Seniors.
Personal Paragraphs was our first written assignment.
Personal Essay Assignment and Tips has both Common App and UW essay prompts. The reverse side has many do's and don'ts for the personal essay.
Rising Senior Summer Tasks will help students get a head start on college applications and more.
General Application Steps & Tips summarizes how applications work at Shorewood.
Creating Your College List will help you figure out whether schools fit your academic numbers and your financial situation.
The Counselor Guide to the Common Application shows the information needed to fill out not only the Common App but most college applications.
Peer Group Questions for Draft Review can also be used on your own. Work on content and approach first.
Check your Zoom Level illustrates our recommended focus level. Option #2 is about right.
Refine your Essay suggests next steps for students.
This Glossary of Financial Aid Terms from UniversityParent.com will help in the near future.
Handouts from Senior Sendoff Panel June 2015
Help your student get ready to move: ASW Practical Tips for setting up a dorm/ apartment.
Advice for the transition: Sending Kids Off has suggestions for important conversations, tasks to consider before the next step, and resources for everything from how to handle the moment you drop your 18-year old off in the new environment to what to say when your child calls with a problem.
PTSA Guide to End of Senior Year
Handouts from College Athletics Event May 2015
Resources for Your Search: ASW College Athletics 2015
Summary of Event: Tips for SW Athletes 2015
Summary of 2014 Event: Tips for Parents of SW Athletes 2014
Resources from DIY College Rankings (website highly recommended!)
Financial Aid Timeline helps you know what you should be doing when Junior & Senior Years
Essentials Free Resources lots of valuable resources to help you along the way
March 2015 Presentation by Dr. Laura Kastner on the Launching Years
Laura Kastner, Ph.D. Biography
Brief Description of Presentation
Outline of Launching Years Presentation
Also see: laurakastnerphd.com
The Launching Years: Strategies for Parenting from Senior Year to College Life (book published 2002/ 2010) by Laura Kastner, Ph.D., and Jennifer Wyatt, Ph.D. launchingyears.com
Visiting Fairs and/or Schools
ASW Spring College Fair Tips (2014)
ASW Spring College Fair Tips (2015)
Tips for Visiting Colleges (2014)
Fall College Fair Tips 2014 (2014)
Seattle National College Fair Exhibitors 2014 (2014)
College Fair Target Schools Use this spreadsheet to customize your list and to keep track of the schools you visit & your impressions (2014)
Creating a List
ASW Parent Session 10.1.13 (Starting a College List: Session for Parents of Classes of 2015-2017)
Selecting Colleges for Your List (Shorewood Signal Article 10/2012)
Research & Commentary
Musings on College Competition (Shorewood Signal Article 3/2012)
Researching Colleges (Shorewood Signal Article 10/2012)
Finding Facts (9/2014)
Help Your Student Own the Test (Shorewood Signal Article 3/2016)
Advice for Sending Kids to College (5/2013)
Junior Checklist (from the Counseling Department 2/2013)
Junior Summer Tasks (5/2014)
8th Grade Parent Session (5/2013)
SAT-ACT free help (from the Counseling Department 2/2013)
- 06/19/2016 After Shorewood's Tidbits: Parting Thoughts
- 06/12/2016 After Shorewood's Tidbits: What Do I Do Now?
- 06/06/2016 After Shorewood's Tidbits: Early Applications
- 05/30/2016 After Shorewood's Tidbits: Senior Sendoff
- 05/22/2016 After Shorewood's Tidbits: Stress & Well-Being
- 05/15/2016 After Shorewood's Tidbits: Not Just College
- 05/08/2015 After Shorewood's Tidbits: Late Applications & Other Ways Forward
- 05/01/2016 After Shorewood's Tidbits: Travel & Logistics
- 04/24/2016 After Shorewood's Tidbits: Summer Opportunities
- 04/10/2016 After Shorewood's Tidbits: College Visits
- 04/03/2016 After Shorewood's Tidbits: Spring College Fair
- 03/27/2016 After Shorewood's Tidbits: Opportunities at Shoreline Community College
- 03/20/2016 After Shorewood's Tidbits A Way to Start: Identify Three Things
- 03/13/2016 After Shorewood's Tidbits: What can you be doing now?
- 03/06/016 - After Shorewood's Tidbits: Honors vs. Standard, UW in High School
- 02/28/2016 - After Shorewood's Tidbits: AP/ Running Start
- 02/21/2016 - After Shorewood's Tidbits: Certifications
- 02/14/2016 - After Shorewood's Tidbits: CTE
- 02/7/2016 - After Shorewood's Tidbits: Technical Colleges
- 01/31/2016 - After Shorewood's Tidbits: Alternatives #2, Apprenticeships
- 01/24/2016 - After Shorewood's Tidbits: Alternatives #1, Gap Year
- 01/17/2016 - After Shorewood's Tidbits: Learn from Students, part 4, Choice & Experience
- 01/11/2016 - After Shorewood's Tidbits: Learn from Students, part 3, Academic Culture
- 01/03/2016 - After Shorewood's Tidbits: New Year's Resolutions
- 12/27/2015 - After Shorewood's Tidbits: Learn from Students, part 2, Adjustment & Balance
- 12/21/2015 - After Shorewood's Tidbits: Learn from Students, part 1, Choosing a College
- 12/14/2015 - After Shorewood's Tidbits of the Week December 13, 2015: Keeping Track
- 12/06/2015 - After Shorewood's Tidbits of the Week December 6, 2015: Community Service: Why and How
- 11/30/2015 - After Shorewood's Tidbits of the Week November 29, 2015: Family Value - Expectations, Mutual Decisions
- 11/22/2015 - After Shorewood's Tidbits of the Week November 22, 2015: Social Media
- 11/15/2015 - After Shorewood's Tidbits of the Week November 15, 2015: Interactive: Financial
- 11/09/2015 - After Shorewood's Tidbits of the Week November 8, 2015: Testing
- 11/01/2015 - After Shorewood's Tidbits of the Week November 1, 2015: Balance
- 10/25/2015 - After Shorewood's Tidbits of the Week October 25, 2015: Foresight
- 10/18/2015 - After Shorewood's Tidbits of the Week October 18, 2015: Facts
- 10/11/2015 - After Shorewood's Tidbits of the Week October 11, 2015: Fit
- 10/05/2015 - After Shorewood's Tidbits of the Week October 4, 2015: The Seattle National College Fair
- 09/27/2015 - After Shorewood's Tidbits of the Week September 27, 2015: The PSAT
- 09/20/2015 - After Shorewood's Tidbits of the Week September 20, 2015: Fact or Crap?
- 9/14/2015 - Welcome Aboard!
- 9/6/15: Why Start Early?
- 8/30/15: Power
- 8/23/15: What to Expect
- 8/16/15: Out of the Box
- 8/9/15: The Early Bird
- 8/2/15: The Common Application
- 7/26/15: Mythbusters 5: College and Money
- 7/19/15: Mythbusters 4, College Admissions
- 7/12/15: Mythbusters 3, School Stereotypes & Misconceptions
- 7/5/15: Mythbusters 2; two-year and certificate programs
- 6/28/15: Mythbusters 1, Summer & Essays
- 6/21/15: Summer Reading List
- 6/14/15: Graduation & Opportunity
- 6/7/15: Parent - Kid Conversations
- 5/31/15: College Experience 3
- 5/24/15: College Experience 2
- 5/17/15: College Experience 1
- 5/10/15: The Venn Diagram Approach
- 5/3/15: For-Profit Colleges
- 4/26/15: Private Universities and Colleges
- 4/19/15: Public Universities and Colleges
- 4/12/15: Community Colleges
- 4/5/15: Indebtedness
- 3/29/15: Decisions
- 3/22/15: College Visits
- 3/15/15: Alternative College
- 3/8/15: The Worth of College
- 3/1/15: Be Ready for Joys and Challenges
- 2/22/15: GPA or Rigor?
- 2/15/15: CTE
- 2/8/15: DECA
- 2/1/15: UW in the High School courses
- 1/18/15: Running Start vs. AP
- 1/11/15: What We Learned From the Kids, Part 2
- 1/4/15: FAFSA
- 12/28/14: Happy New Year
- 12/21/14: What We Learned From the Kids, part 1
- 12/14/14: After Shorewood Goals
- 12/7/14: Common Pitfalls
- 11/30/14: Thankful For...
- 11/23/14: Financial Encyclopedia
- 11/15/14: Financial Glossary
- 11/9/14: Don't Call Them Safety Schools
- 11/2/14: Important Terms
- 10/26/14: Testing, Part 4. Untesting
- 10/19/14: Testing, Part 3. ASVAB and Compass
- 10/12/14: The College Fair
- 10/5/14: Testing, Part 2
- 9/28/14: Testing, Part I
- 9/21/14: Facts
- 9/14/14: Foresight
- 9/7/14: Fit
- 8/31/14: Fun
- 8/26/14: Admission Rates
- 8/17/14: $$
- 8/10/14: $$
- 8/3/14: Data- Outcomes
- 7/27/14: Data
- 7/20/14: Reading and Enrichment
- 7/13/14: Majors and Departments
- 7/6/14: Out Of the Box
- 6/29/14: Aim
- 6/22/14: Location, location, location
- 6/15/14: Ending on a good note
- 6/8/14: Learning from Other Parents
- 6/1/14: Parents as Guides
- 5/25/14: Resources
- 5/18/14: Timing
- 5/11/14: Naviance
- 5/4/14: Parent Conversations: What You Should Be Talking About
- 4/27/14: Community Service: how to find some and why it's good
- 4/20/14: College Visits and the Seattle Spring College Fair
- 4/13/14: Indebtedness
- 4/6/14: Decisions
- 3/30/14: The Worth of College
- 3/23/14: Private Schools
- 3/16/14: Public Schools
- 3/9/14: Community Colleges
- 3/2/14: Navigating registration with some Shorewood Registration FAQs
- 2/23/14: Local Scholarships
- 2/15/14: College Visit Tips!
- 2/9/14: Admission Rates!
- 2/2/14: Art: electives, requirements, and passions!
- 1/26/14: DECA
- 1/19/14: FAFSA
- 1/12/14: What We Learned From the Kids, Panel #2
- 1/5/14: Goal-Setting
- 12/29/13: Social Studies
- 12/22/13: What we learned from the kids
- 12/15/13: Cost of Attendance
- 12/8/13: Testing and Scams
- 12/1/13: Scholarships
- 11/24/13: The Alternatives
- 11/17/13: Social Media
- 11/10/13: Balance.
- 11/3/13: College Fair (because it's THAT important)
- 10/27/13: National College Fair
- 10/20/13: Facts
- 10/13/13: Foresight
- 10/6/13: Fit
- 9/29/13: Calendar of college visits; tips by grade